02 February 2009

C'était une bonne idée... / It was a good idea...

So I can mark pâte brisée and pâte sucrée off of my "basic to do list by pierre hermé" because I made them. However, what I did with them is another story...

I was inspired by this contest over at foodbeam. I made the doughs from pierre hermé's recipes. And I was also craving tex-mex. Uh huh... I decided to make a tex-mex tart. Full of refried beans, ground beef, onions, red peppers, green peppers, tortilla chips, sour cream, avocados, salsa, shredded cheese, and baby spinach because I don't buy iceberg lettuce.

It didn't taste bad, just different. Thoughts, and lessons learned for next time:

1. use a smaller tart pan, or use more dough - i got ugly edges because I didn't have enough dough to fill it

2. don't try to use everything about tex-mex that I love. it was overwhelming, next time, no more than 4 or 5 ingredients. this is important because, in life in general i am indecisive and would rather have a little bit of everything instead of a lot of a few things. in this case, this does not work out because it just all mushes together and you lose individual flavors. this has taught me to be more selective, as well as think about what I make instead of what I feel should be going into it.

3. pie crust + mexican food......... = .......... no comment. it's not bad, but i just wasn't used to mixing the texture of pie crust with mexican food. next time, i think i will try to make the crust using rice, or something closer to a tortilla texture, or... who knows. but it was an attempt, at least!

4. i think this is the closest you'll ever get pierre hermé and refried beans together! i'm giggling at the absurdity.

(I didn't submit it to the contest because I didn't read the rules and completely strayed from the "french inspired" aspect)

No comments: