I absolutely can’t wait to start. But now, with summer roommate, summer housing, and summer job all taken care of, I can finally put 100% of my energy back into school. Last two weeks, hurray! It will be crazy but so wonderful.
I was asked to bring in some samples of my work, and I chose pairs that represented my biggest loves in life. France and Asia. Sweet and Savory. Pastries and Breads. Strawberries and Green Onion. macarons and taiwanese style kolaches.
PS: attention to detail definitely helped. for example:
1. i called the company beforehand and asked for the recruiter’s name, and addressed my application to him
2. the recruiter mentioned his wife was gluten intolerant, so i made macarons which are naturally gluten-free
3. i brought my samples in disposable strawberry containers and paper bags so they was no issue of me wanting to keep my container and forcing them to find a way to store the stuff.
4. i made some vegetarian bread as well just in case so I would not alienate any non-meat eaters.
5. i made finger food so there was no need to bring out silverware.
6. i was honest and did not lie. i told them upfront that I was going to be leaving, and that I had no professional experience 0r culinary school education. this way there will be no surprises later on. and they still were willing to hire me!
so be aware. and think about how you can make things smoother and more convenient. listening and paying attention can work wonders.
PPS: more details later since i was only verbally hired, when there is some pen to paper action I will share more :)
PPPS: for the macarons, the pink filling is strawberry almond buttercream, and the brown is hazelnut cocoa almond buttercream. for the kolaches, it’s the taiwanese chewy sweet bread topped with mayonnaise, ketchup, and green onion wrapped around an italian sausage.