19 May 2009

cashew blondies

cashew01 Continuing with my “use up as many things in my kitchen cupboard without buying new things because i am moving out and there is no point in stocking up the fridge” mantra, of the basics, I am left with: 1.5 sticks of butter, 9 eggs, no milk, no cream, tons of flour, tons of sugar, and tons of salt. Of the non-basics, I have tons of cashews, almonds, extracts, powders, honey, oatmeal, noodles…

I already used up the milk and cream, and the butter is next. What to make with it? How about…. blondies! With cashews. Lots and lots of cashews. They are my newest addiction, and Costco’s 40oz. jar is a dangerous thing to have in the pantry.

Modified recipe by Dorie Greenspan from Baking: From my home to yours, p. 109.

The blondies in the book actually had about 10 more ingredients, like coconuts, walnuts, chocolate chips, etc. However, in my case, I just wanted a simple blondie with cashews. And that is exactly what I made.

Ingredients (double for a normal batch, i had to halve it due to scarcity of butter):

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp baking powder (actually .375 tsp, but that’s too exact for me.)

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 stick butter

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup sugar

1 large egg

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup cashews

Very simple. Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, cream the butter, then add both sugars. Continue to mix. Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix. Then slowly add in your dry ingredients until they disappear into the batter. Add in your cashews at the very end with a spatula.

Spread out the mixture in a shallow baking pan with edges.  Bake in a preheated 325F oven for about 40 minutes, until done.


that is one seductive piece of cashew sticking out, isn’t it?

So now I'm left with half a stick of butter, 8 eggs, and lots of flour and sugar. I see lots of meringues coming up… But in reality, I think I am going to be lazy and just eat lots of hard boiled eggs.

To tell the truth, it isn’t a big deal as I am only moving 4 blocks away, so nothing will get trashed. But it is fun to see how much I can make without spending any extra money.

No comments: