09 June 2009

sun-dried tomato flatbread

sundriedtomatoflatbread01 What’s this? Why would I show an empty plastic container? Well, it wouldn’t be empty if I could only resist. But I can’t. It used to have a few (and i mean a few) slivers of Central Market’s absolutely amazing sun-dried tomato flatbread. It never lasts more than 24 hours when I buy it because I can snack on this all day at any hour. Unfortunately, at about 4.00 per box, it was too expensive for me to constantly buy (especially considering the ingredients are simply flour and water).

But I’ve done something even more dangerous now.

I found a recipe… and made my own… and it was GOOD. this is bad. real bad. money used to hold me back from devouring them. and now, nothing stands between me + bliss.

I modified this recipe from Wild Yeast.


150g wheat flour

150g semolina flour

6g salt

170g lukewarm water

sun-dried tomato paste (the amount? as intense as you want it... for me, it was about 4 or 5 tablespoons? I honestly just used what was left in the jar. the more the tastier!)


olive oil for brushing

sundriedtomatoflatbread02Mix together all your dry ingredients, and add the water. You’ll get a nice lump of dough. Add the sun-dried tomato paste and knead it in. Knead for three minutes, then cover and let it rest for 15 minutes. Knead again for two minutes, then cover and let rest for 20 minutes.

sundriedtomatoflatbread03Preheat your oven to 450F and the fun begins! Take a sheet of parchment paper, a bit of dough, and roll it to the thinnest you can get it. For those with a pasta maker… lucky. For the rest of us, roll away!

Then sprinkle with whatever you like! In my case, parsley and shredded parmesan, but I’m sure 100% of the herbs and seeds out there would be equally delicious. Lastly, brush with olive oil and stick it in the oven for about five minutes until it is ripply and has nice golden brown spots.

sundriedtomatoflatbread04i love.

my flatbread actually comes out somewhat soft and soggy after it’s cooled, and I’m assuming it is because I can’t roll it as thin as a pasta roller can. So, here is what I do to get some crunch: after they’ve cooled, I grab some scissors and cut them into squares and then stick them back into the oven for another 5 minutes. then you get crispy crackers!

sundriedtomatoflatbread05Of course, my signature, the mishap. I don’t think I’ve ever made anything that hasn’t gone wrong, but oh well! Here is what once was a delicious flatbread that is now chunks of black stuff because I was watching videos on youtube instead of the oven. I like burnt stuff, but only to a point.

PS: My new roommate, M, does something which I now like: cracker + goat cheese + TON of garlic powder = delishhhhh!

1 comment:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Love this idea - not the burnt ones of course. I've got a big jar of sun-dried tomatoes I need to figure out how to use up. Your recipe will be one of the things I try.