19 July 2009

stuffed veggie cups

switcharoo01so complicated looking. but actually so simple. and so, so, delicious. petits légumes farcis aux petits légumes is the title of this deliciousness. vegetables stuffed with vegetables, en anglais. farcir = to stuff. learned a new verb!

 switcharoo03this recipe comes from p. 65 of the june 2008 issue of Saveurs, a french cooking magazine I discovered at half-price books. love love the used bookstore. i also <3 cooking from books/magazines in foreign languages because I always end up learning new vocabulary.

and besides, these are just too adorable – they’re little cups/bowls! how can you resist?

switcharoo04

Gather your ingredients. Here is what the magazine listed:

5 medium tomatoes

5 small round zucchinis (the smallest)

1 small regular zucchini

1 fennel bulb

1 small eggplant

2 onions

1/2 bunch of basil

olive oil

salt, pepper

But here is what I actually ended up using:

A few cherry tomatoes

A few yellow pear tomatoes

1 kabocha squash (i think. please correct me if I’m wrong)

1 large eggplant

1 onion

1/2 bunch of basil

olive oil

salt, pepper

As you can see, it doesn’t really matter what you use! Just use whatever you have on hand that would seem like a good fit.

switcharoo05With the round squash/tomato, cut off the top and hollow out in the inside. With the eggplant, cut off the ends to a reasonable “cup” size, then dice the middle area. Essentially, just use some common sense when deciding how to cut your veggies into the best bowl shape you can :)

Then, dice everything. The onions, tomatoes, eggplant, hollowed out portions, basil, etc. Chop chop chop! (I wasn’t sure if one usually eats the seeds and stuff from the kabocha sqush, so I just tossed it. Everything else I kept.)

switcharoo06Preheat your oven to 350F. In a skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tbs of olive oil and your onions. Let them soften up, then add the zucchini and eggplant along with 1 more tbs of olive oil. Don’t forget to salt and pepper it to taste. Cook them until they are all nice and soft, and five minutes before they are done, add the basil and tomato plus one last tbs of olive oil. Stir it all together.

switcharoo07Set it aside in a bowl to cool. Then, brush the inside of your veggie cups with olive oil and stuff them with the mixture you just made. Bake in the preheated 350F oven for 40-50 minutes.

switcharoo08

Take it out of the oven, let it cool for a bit, and then eat!

5 comments:

Nina Timm said...

This is so amazing...I was thinking this morning that I should host a "Edible container" party!! This is perfect!!

reineke said...

I used to eat something similar when I was a kid. The ingredients were simpler (fewer vegetables mixed with breadcrumbs, garlic) and the containers were large tomatoes and eggplants baked together in an oven.

parlezvouskiwi said...

Oh how I have missed your delicieux food photos while I have been MIA. Yay. This inspires me to go to the farmers market this weekend for fresh veges. Mmmm this recipe looks doable for us beginner chefs!

Lizzie Chen said...

This looks soooooo good!!! I want to try some!

cathy said...

@nina: hope it turns out well!
@reineke: sounds equally delicious :)
@pip: welcome back! i'm a beginner chef as well... but slowly i'm building up my repertoire!
@lizzie: thank you!