20 September 2009

rainbow high

















nearly one year ago, i was crushed when i arrived at pierre herme on my last day in paris… during the august vacances. i stared at the closed shop, and the the words FERME stared back at me.

but i wasn’t down for long. it only fueled my motivation to find a way to return to france. and voila, i started researching jobs in france, i started my little journal, i started baking like crazy, i started mixing baking and art, i graduated, i continued my efforts in learning french, and voila, i got my #1 job choice in france, and voila, i came back, and voila, pierre herme was open, and voila, i bought my beloved pastries that were meant to be bought a year ago!

or maybe they weren’t meant to be bought a year ago. looking back, i think it was a good thing that the shop was closed. it inspired me to pursue the things i love… pastries, language, art, france, etc. Because if i don’t pursue what i want, they’ll just be FERME forever. It’s up to me to make things OUVERT. (open)

so, no such things as closed doors. just doors that you have to figure out how to open.


and about the captions…

I don’t care if you don’t like madonna or the musical evita, rainbow high is one of the best songs ever in the musical world. period. no debate. and i thought that it would accent these photos of pastries from pierre herme perfectly. and they do.

I mean – just look at some of the lyrics. Swap out a few words, and you’d never know they weren’t originally about pastries!

I came from the people, they need to adore me
So Christian Dior
Pierre Hermé me from my head to my toes
I need to be dazzling, I want to be Rainbow High
They must have excitement, and so must I

I'm their product, it's vital you sell me
So Machiavell
pâte feuilletée me, make an Argentine Ispahan Rose
I need to be thrilling, I want to be Rainbow High
They need their escape, and so do I

etc. etc.


as for the flavors, in order:

millefeuille ispahan - rose, framboise et letchi, réinterprétée en version millefeuille [rose, raspberries, and lychees, reinterpreted in a milllefeuille form]

huile d’olive & vanille – biscuit macaron, crème à l’huile d’olive et gousse de vanilla [macaron with olive oil and vanilla bean cream]

jasmin – biscuit macaron, crème à la fleur de jasmin et thé au jasmin [macaron with jasmine flower and tea cream]

mogador – biscuit macaron, ganache au fruit de la passion et chocolat au lait [macaron with passion fruit and milk chocolate ganache]

montebello – biscuit macaron, crème à la pistache, compote de framboise [macaron with pistachio cream and raspberry puree]

posted by cathy at 10:08 pm on september 20, 2009 in evreux about her trip to pierre herme on 72 rue bonabarte in paris last friday.


Nina said...

Cathy--this is the most wonderful post I have read in a very long time! Truly inspiring. So much so, I had to listen to Evita when I got home last night. :) What a wonderful story about PH. All good things to those who wait. Cheers to you, Nina

cathy said...

hi nina! thank you so much. and i'm also very happy that i'm not the only person who adores evita :)