04 September 2009

tarte au raisiné / traubensaftkuchen / white grape juice tart

grapejuicetart01see this? it’s a tarte au raisiné / traubensaftkuchen / grape juice tart and i promise it’s as yummy as it looks.

Here’s what you’ll need:

400g sweet tart dough/pie crust

1 liter white grape juice

150ml whole milk

180g heavy cream

2-3 tbs flour

1tbs butter

2 eggs, whisked

1 tbs suger

this tart comes from romandie /westschweiz region of switzerland, aka the western portion where french is predominately spoken. thus, the reason why it’s a tarte au raisiné before it’s a traubensaftkuchen. raisiné, according to wordreference, = preserve of grape juice.

as for the german part, eine Traube = a bunch of grapes. der Traubensaft = grape juice. and der Kuchen = cake. so literally…. grape juice cake!

grapejuicetart01aSchweizer Küche by Michael Klein & Yvonne Tempelmann

but let me first credit the source of this deliciousness. it comes from a book i bought last summer in switzerland. and it’s amazing because not only is it small, splits the recipes into regions, and  is in french and german…

grapejuicetart01bit’s trilingual! the bonus of english! however, poor italian, one of the official languages, is not included.

grapejuicetart02Step one: reduce your juice to 150ml. When I first read this step, I just scratched my head. Was I supposed to just pour out 150ml of the juice and use it…? Why did it ask for 1 liter then…? If not for my roommate, I probably would have done just that. But thanks to him, he explained that to reduce was to pour the whole thing into a pot and let it simmer until the water was evaporated and you are left with a really thick liquid. Okay, so I did that instead. I kept it on low heat and stirred often to avoid any burnt surprises.

grapejuicetart03While waiting for it to reduce, you can line your tart pan, let it harden in the freezer, and pre-bake it. But do what you usually do with your crust, each recipe is different. For mine, i like to pre-bake it for about 15 minutes so it isn’t as soggy.

grapejuicetart04And here is the result of my reduction. That entire bottle… gone… all that was left was what was in my measuring cup. This isn’t something to do if you’re frugal!

grapejuicetart05Heat the milk, cream, and flour in a pot over medium heat  while stirring constantly until you get a nice smooth paste. Then stir in the butter and let it cool.

Pour in your whisked eggs and sugar.

Then pour in your 150ml reduced grape juice. and mix.

Here is what my final “batter” looked like. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be this grainy, but it all turned out okay for me in the end.

grapejuicetart06now here’s the most satisfying part. you take that sad, lonely crust that’s just waiting for some love… and pour the yummy batter into it… and once you’ve united these two wonderful things, you know only good things can happen from this point forward.

Slide it into a 400F oven for 35 to 40 minutes. And wait.

grapejuicetart07 do you prefer a back lit super dramatic tart?

grapejuicetart08or the regularly lit tart that shows off the shiny glean of the surface?

grapejuicetart10my personal favorite is the cut away slice shot!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is bizarre...I clicked on this link on tastespotting, because I was reminded of the grape juice tart a lovely person brought in to German II class at ACC this summer...and looking through your blog, I think you are the very same lovely person! Am I right??! If I am, this is Emma, the other wannabe baker in Zukunft...Either way, lovely blog, and thanks for sharing the recipe!

ABowlOfMush said...

I've had this dessert before, it looked no where near as good as this one!
Your pictures are also fantastic!

cathy said...

@Emma: Hello hello! It is indeed me... the pastry loving world is so small :) nice to hear from you! ps, the tart pictured is the exact one you ate, i'm just very late when it comes to writing about them. hope you're having a good fall, and don't forget all your german!

@abowlofmush: thank you :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful and tempting tart! I love that speciality...

In Switzerland, "raisiné" is more molasses-like (see my blog for more details:http://rosas-yummy-yums.blogspot.com/2009/03/vin-cuit-from-switzerland.html).

Cheers,

Rosa

Dorit said...

Hello,
the "swiss cooking book" on my knees, the grape juice allready reduced... in the book they didn't write, how much flour I need... Thanks for internet and for your disription! Now I can continue my "traubensaftkuchen"! ;)
Hope it will look as nice as yours!

Aparna said...

I came across your post while looking for a recipe that used grape.

I made sme changes to your filling recipe, to adjust for our tastes and availablity of ingredients, but this tart was quite good.
Thanks.

My post is at http://www.mydiversekitchen.com/2010/03/dark-grape-juice-tart-tarte-au-raisine.html