12 March 2010

night

night01not that it was ever a serious dream – but i don’t believe being a professional patissier or boulanger would ever work out for me.

solely because i don’t sleep before midnight.

like right now. it’s midnight and i have to be up at 6:30AM tomorrow, but instead i’m sitting here organizing photos and writing and collecting my thoughts…

night02but oh no, i’m not waking up early tomorrow morning to work in the bakery. i’m very lucky in that they’re allowing me to come in when I want. so far its been monday, tuesday, and friday mornings. i like my weekends, they rest on wednesdays, and i work at my school thursday mornings.

instead, just randomly decided a few hours ago with my friend E, i’m going to take a day trip to amiens tomorrow.

but back to the bakery bit.

nightwalkthere isn’t really anything super exciting to share (yet), except that – as much as i’ve learned from books, blogs, and videos, having someone stop me and say “ça va pas” and then showing me the correct way to glaze a strawberry tartelette or the correct angle that one holds the spatula for forcing the cream into all the crevices in a fraisier or the correct way to assemble a meringue truffle… it’s something entirely different. there are just too many subtle movements humans make that words or photos can’t convey.

so as usual, it’s the human interaction that inspires me. talking to the patron (owner). his femme (wife – she runs the actual shop). the chef (head of pastries). the apprentie (who is in alternance and works and goes to school as well). the vendeuses (the lovely ladies who sell the bread). the delivery people. the guy who works in the bread department who starts at midnight. the other guy who works in the bread department who lives in the countryside with his wife and kids. and lots more that i haven’t gotten a chance to talk to… after all, there’s a ton of work to be done, and i don’t want to bother them with my chatter!

learning all these techniques is great, but getting to know the people who work there and make the bakery happen is a hundred times better.

i just have to work on this sleeping thing…

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I looking forward to reading all about it! I also cannot sleep before midnight...

Cheers,

Rosa

Kinzie said...

I'm the same -- I've never been an early sleeper. And I was the opener at a café for three years, so I had to be at work at 6. Oh well...

Still loving your pictures!

cathy said...

@rosa + kinzie: merci! glad i am not the only late night lover :)