12 July 2010

imperfectly lined tartelette shells filled with lemon cream and topped with a cherry

clctartelettei’m not sure if i will ever be able to line a tart or pie flawlessly with piecrust. air pockets and uneven edges are my signature. but thankfully, i don’t have anybody to impress except my own taste buds.

this is here today because i’ve missed writing and sharing recipes. but it’s also here to prep for the visual flood you will see soon. you see, i finished selecting and editing every single photo from my last few months in europe. there are no more photos to edit…. all that remains is the write up. but i will reveal how it ends: a camembert salad and the most beautiful loaf of bread you’ll ever see.

recipe from pierré hermé through page 331 of dorie greenspan’s baking from my home to yours given to me by my prof as a gift when i graduated.

ingredients:

sweet tart dough / pie crust

1 cup sugar

zest of 3 lemons

4 eggs

3/4 cup lemon juice

2 sticks + 5 tbs butter, in pieces and at room temperature

(i cringe, not seeing these in grams… 2 sticks + 5 tbs is such an awkward measurement!)

the recipe is quite simple:

blind bake your tart shells and let them cool completely.

zest your lemons, then juice them.

rub the sugar and lemon together in a metal bowl with your fingers.

whisk in the 4 eggs.

add in the lemon juice.

then, place the bowl on top of a pan filled with simmering water and let it reach 180 degrees fahrenheit.

once it reaches temperature, strain it into a blender and let it cool to 140 degrees fahrenheit.

blend it on high and add the butter, about 3 minutes.

let it cool, cover the cream with plastic wrap so no air can touch the surface of the cream, and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

whenever you are ready to serve, just whisk the cold cream to loosen it up and fill up your tarts. and top with a cherry, or whatever fruit you happen to have on hand.

dorie’s explanation is that instead of cooking the butter with the rest of the ingredients, you blend it in at the last step so it emulsifies (instead of just melting and firming up again) and adds a touch of silky lightness.

so please munch on that while you wait to see a very late european spring.

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What delicious little tartlets! I go crazy for any lemon-based dessert.

Cheers,

Rosa

Jennifer said...

I am a firm believer that imperfect is beautiful anyways and when you are serving to please only your own palate and eyes, rustic wins over. I cant wait to see and hear all about everything from Europe!!!
This recipe I have been eyeing in my cookbook for quite sometime and I have to say, I think perhaps I will have to follow your lead and make it as well! :)

cathy said...

@rosa: recently, me too. definitely something i didn't like as a kid, but i love now!

@jennifer: with you 100% on imperfection. the less perfect = more perfect :) do try the recipe - so, so, sooo good!p